A leading artist and teacher, Hale Woodruff established the first art program in the South open to African American artists at Atlanta University in 1931. His program admitted students at the adjacent campuses of Morehouse and Spelman colleges, the latter of which housed Woodruff’s studio. This depiction of three buildings on the Morehouse campus likely dates from the early 1940s. It features Century Campus, the location of the College’s oldest buildings dating to the 1880s.
Purchase with funds from Joan N. Whitcomb, Sandra and Lloyd Baccus, George L. Howell and Mtamanika Youngblood, Arthur J. Clement, Karol Mason, Veronica and Franklin Biggins, Kathleen Clement, Dr. and Mrs. Louis W. Sullivan, Catherine Ross and Danny Boston, and Jay and Arthur Richardson