10:30 am –12:30 pm
Offered in conjunction with Picturing the South: 25 Years, this online class will prompt participants to make their own distinctive smartphone photographs that speak to their personal engagement with the American South. Led by Nydia Blas, we will explore the way we view images on a screen, the opportunities and technical possibilities inherent in using smartphone cameras, and the ways photographs reflect our lives and the world at large.
- Smartphone with a camera
- Adobe Lightroom Mobile (phone app & desktop)
- Writing materials, possibly a journal
- A fundamental understanding of Lightroom Mobile, camera phone operation, and photo editing.
- Applied understanding and execution of visual grammar and formal elements of photography.
- The ability to develop a small cohesive body of work that is based on your engagement with the American South.
- Active participation in discussions about photographic work and the work of peers in a critique setting.
This course will be delivered entirely online, through Zoom. Zoom meeting details will be sent to the email provided before the event date. This class takes place on Wednesdays and includes six sessions (November 3, 10, 17, and December 1, 8, and 15). Please note that class will not take place on November 24.
Course readings and other pertinent information will be located on a shared Google Doc folder that we all have access to. Course activities will consist of lectures, discussions, readings, demonstrations, and viewing photographs/videos.
About Your Instructor
Nydia Blas is a visual artist who grew up in Ithaca, New York, and currently resides in Atlanta, Georgia. She holds a BS from Ithaca College and received her MFA from Syracuse University in the College of Visual and Performing Arts. She is an assistant professor in the Department of Art and Visual Culture at Spelman College in Atlanta. She also works as a freelance photographer for clients such as The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, and The New Yorker.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 404-733-5051.
Banner Image: Abelardo Morell (American, born Cuba 1948), Camera Obscura: View of Atlanta Looking South Down Peachtree Street in Hotel Room, 2013.