The Golden Rule: Works from Lenore and Burton Gold in the High Museum of Art
May 4–November 15, 2015
The Lenore and Burton Gold Collection of Twentieth-Century Art represents the Golds’ collecting activities over a period of thirty years. Together, Lenore (1930–1996) and Burton (born 1929) assembled a diverse group of works that range from minimalist sculpture by Donald Judd to the expressive painting of Julian Schnabel. Lenore possessed an irrepressible spirit and a passion for the art of our time, and she worked tirelessly to promote the collecting of contemporary art in Atlanta. Burton steadfastly supported Lenore and her keen eye. His gift in 1999 of twenty-five works from their collection to the High Museum of Art honors her memory and represents a splendid culmination of their devotion to each other, to art, and to the Museum. The Golds’ contribution to the High laid the groundwork for expanding the Museum’s contemporary art collection in the years since. A selection of works from the Golds’ collection was on view on the Skyway Level of the Wieland Pavilion.