Founded in Chicago in 1937 by the multidisciplinary artist László Moholy-Nagy, the Institute of Design was one of the most groundbreaking and influential art schools in the United States. Photography was key to the school’s pedagogy, and the curriculum encouraged experimentation and iteration, both in the studio and out in the world, as means to aesthetic innovation. The faculty comprised many of the luminaries of twentieth-century photography including Harry Callahan and Aaron Siskind, and many of their students, notably Kenneth Josephson, Ray Metzker, and Barbara Crane, became important photographers and teachers themselves.
Gregory J. Harris
Donald and Marilyn Keough Family Curator of Photography