Museum Careers Summer Academy
The High Museum of Art welcomes applications for its Summer Academy focused on careers in the museum field. Applications are invited from undergraduates interested in exploring this exciting arena. The week-long paid Summer Academy provides fifteen students with a special opportunity to learn about curatorial practice, museum education, marketing, registration, and exhibition design.
During the Academy, students will
- learn about how a museum works behind the scenes;
- learn what it means to be a museum professional through activities and conversations with High Museum staff, including curators, educators, conservators, exhibition and graphic designers, and programming and marketing specialists;
- visit local art museums, conservation studios, and artists’ studios;
- learn about art museum audiences;
- participate in a team-based exhibition workshop and group project;
- research and present on a favorite object in the High’s collection; and
- meet other students from across the region who share an interest in museums.
A stipend and housing are provided for the week. Candidates must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at the time of the Academy to be eligible to apply. Full participation for the week is required.
Candidates for the program must be
- students representing ethnically diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- enrolled in an undergraduate program at a university, college, or community college during the course of the program; and
- eligible to work in the United States.
International students are encouraged to review the federal guidelines for study in the states, as some federal guidelines for off-campus fellowships and assistantships are not compatible with the MUCF program’s structure. For more information, please visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for Study in the States.
Do I have to be an art history major or have museum experience to apply?
No. This opportunity is open to any interested student who meets the above eligibility standards.
Applications for the 2023 High Museum Summer Academy are not currently open.
Questions? Please contact:
Andrew W. Mellon Curatorial Fellowship Program Coordinator