Established by the High Museum of Art in 2005, the David C. Driskell Prize is the first national award to honor and celebrate contributions to the field of art of the African Diaspora. Named after the renowned African American artist and art scholar, the prize recognizes a US-based scholar or artist in the beginning or middle of his or her career whose artistic practice or scholarly work makes an original and important contribution to the visual arts and study of art of the African Diaspora. A cash award of $25,000 accompanies the prize.
David C. Driskell Prize Dinner
Save-The-Date: Friday, April 26, 2019
High Museum of Art
2018 David C. Driskell Prize Winner
The 2018 Driskell Prize recipient is artist Amy Sherald. A Georgia native now based in Baltimore, Sherald is acclaimed for her profoundly creative and distinctive portraits of African-American subjects. In 2017, she received the commission to paint former first lady Michelle Obama’s official portrait for the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery.
Read more about Amy Sherald
Billye Suber Aaron
D. Jack Sawyer, Jr.
M. Alexis Scott
For more information about the dinner, please contact Rhonda Matheison at 404-733-4403.
For media inquiries, please call Marci Davis at 404-733-4585.
David C. Driskell is a practicing artist and scholar whose work on the African Diaspora spans more than four decades. The High Museum of Art’s relationship with Driskell began in 2000, when the Museum presented the concurrent exhibitions “To Conserve a Legacy” and “Narratives of African American Art and Identity: The David C. Driskell Collection,” which examined African American art in the broad historical context of modern and contemporary art.
Born in 1931 in Eatonton, Georgia, Driskell is Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Maryland. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Howard University in 1955 and his Master of Fine Arts degree from Catholic University in 1962. He also attended the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Maine in 1953 and studied art history in The Hague, Netherlands, in 1964.